If you experience a black screen, missing task manager, or missing power options following an exam on a Windows Vista or 7 device, follow these instructions on restoring your device to its pre-exam state.
- Turn off the computer completely by holding down the power button.
- Turn on the computer while rapidly pressing the F8 key to bring up the safe mode boot menu.
- Select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” from the menu. This will reboot your computer.
- In the command prompt, type in "explorer.exe" without the quotes and press enter to bring up the file explorer.
- Navigate to this folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Examsoft\Softest 11.0.
- Scroll down until you see an application file named ESWinsr.
- Right-click this file and click "Run as an Administrator". This will bring up another command prompt that will revert the security settings of SofTest. Press any key to exit when prompted.
- Return to the original Command Prompt. Type "shutdown –r" without the quotes. This will trigger a native reboot of the computer, which will take longer than normal. It should reboot successfully into Windows having successfully force-closed SofTest.