Before You Begin
In your LMS, publish the courses. Courses must be published before they can be synced in Examsoft.
The Access Token is a unique identifier that allows our services to connect with your Canvas instance.
- Log in to your Canvas account.
- Select Account in the upper left-hand corner.
- Select Settings from the pop-out menu.
- Select the New Access Token button under Approved Integrations.
- In the Purpose field, enter: ExamSoft
- Leave the expiration field blank.
- Select Generate Token.
- Copy the value generated in the row that says Token to a separate document.
Important: Once you close out of this window, you will not be able to access the token again. You can generate another token later, but we strongly recommend copying and pasting the token into a separate document for later reference.
- Navigate to the ExamSoft portal and log in as an Institution Admin.
- Select Admin.
- Select Global Settings.
- Select LMS Settings.
- For LMS Type, select Canvas, and enter the configuration settings:
- Canvas Instance URL: Enter the URL that you use to access your Canvas Instance.
Authorization Token: Paste the Access token that you copied in the previous section.
Note: After you enter the token, the portal will confirm that the connection between the ExamSoft Portal and your Canvas instance is configured. If it is successful, a green check mark and Verified will appear and the remaining options are made available.
- Select the Configure button.
Note: You will now see a Settings page. The following example shows what a completed configuration section looks like.
- Select the desired Course, Section, & User ID Types from their respective drop-down menus.
Note: These values are the elements from the Canvas environment that will end up being the User ID and Course ID within ExamSoft.
- Select the applicable Course Admin and Student Roles.
Note: The value selected for Course Admin roles will dictate which Canvas users are synced to ExamSoft as admins. The value selected for Student roles will dictate which Canvas users are synced to ExamSoft as students.
- Select Save at the top of the screen.
Run the Sync Process
- Select Edit Sync Settings.
- If this is your first time visiting this page, select Refresh Courses to retrieve the list of the courses from Canvas.
Note: Keep in mind that you are not yet syncing the courses, just retrieving the full list of courses from your Canvas instance.
- Within the Select Courses tab, select the desired courses using the + icon to add them to the sync list.
- Select the Edit Sync List tab, and then adjust the start and end dates for courses, as needed.
- Select the department within the ExamSoft portal where you want them to be imported.
Note: This step can be done in bulk. Select the checkboxes on the left, and use the bulk options that appear at the bottom of the screen.
- Select Save.
Select Sync Now to manually sync.
Note: If the sync is successful, you will receive a success message in the upper-right hand corner of the screen confirming your sync.
- (Optional) Select to automatically sync your courses at a pre-determined time daily, by enabling Auto Sync On/Off and entering your preferred time.
- Select the ExamSoft logo in the top-left corner to navigate to My Departments.
- Select a department that was included in the sync list.
- Select the Course Name to open the imported courses.
- Select the Students menu (at the top), and verify that the roster has synced from Canvas.
If you do not see the data that was supposed to sync over, see: Enterprise Portal: LMS Sync Errors