The NCLEX can contain various item formats. This article provides links to help you learn how to answer these questions in Examplify.
- Multiple Choice format: Read the question carefully to see if there is one correct answer (standard format) or multiple correct answers (Multiple Response or "Select all that apply" format).
For tips about answering these questions in Examplify, see: Examplify: Answer a Multiple Choice Question
- Drop-Down (Cloze) format: One or more numbers appear within the question text. The number represents a blank that you need to fill in. In the Answers area, look for the corresponding number, and use the drop-down list to select your answer. Continue until you have filled all of the spaces.
Example: Drop-Down (Cloze)
For tips about answering these questions in Examplify, see: Examplify: Answer a Fill in the Blank Question
- Matrix/Grid format: You'll see items in a table. The far-right column will have a numbered space in each row. In the Answers area, look for the corresponding number, and use the drop-down list to select your answer. Continue until you have filled all of the spaces.
Example: Matrix/Grid Table Format with Numbered Spaces
This image shows the matrix/grid area with the numbered spaces. You can see that the exam-taker has already filled in two of the numbered spaces.
Example: Matrix/Grid Drop-Down Lists
This image shows the numbered drop-down lists in the Answers area.
- Drag and Drop format: The possible answers are listed in a box on the left. You'll need to review the choices and then drag your answer(s) to the box on the right.
Example: Drag and Drop
- Grouped Multiple Response format: This format is like the Drag and Drop format, but the answer choices include category labels, and the question asks you to select one item per category. Read the question and the answer choices carefully to make your selections.
Example: Grouped Multiple Response
In this example, the exam-takers were asked to choose one item from each category: Imaging, Monitoring, and Medications.
- Hot Spot format: Answer the question by selecting a location on a photo or diagram.
For tips about answering these questions in Examplify, see: Examplify: Answer a Hot Spot Question
- Graphic format: This format can be combined with the others. Images appear in the question and/or in the answer choices. You'll answer these questions in the same manner as text-based questions of that type (Multiple Choice, Drag and Drop, etc.).
- Chart/Exhibit and Audio/Video formats: This format can be combined with the others. The question will in include an attachment that presents documents or audio/video clips. After reviewing the information in the attachment, answer this type of question in the same manner as other questions (Multiple Choice, Drag and Drop, etc.). For more information, see the "View Exam-Level Attachments" and "View a Question-Level Attachment" sections of the Exam-Taking Features article.
More Exam-Taking Tips
Prepare for an On-Site Exam
- Windows or Mac: Examplify: Prepare to Take an Exam
- iPad: Examplify for iPad: Prepare to Take an Exam
Prepare for a Remote Exam with ExamID and ExamMonitor