To generate a restricted token in Canvas, create a custom role with specific permissions and assign it to an ExamSoft admin account. This article shows how to create both and assign the role accordingly.
- Create the ExamSoft Admin Account
- Create the Account Role
- Assign the Custom Role to the Admin Account
- Select Admin, and select the top-level Canvas account at the institution.
Note: It cannot be a sub-account.
- Select People, and select + People as shown below.
- Fill out information for this new user account and click Add User.
- Within the top-level account, select Permissions, and select the Account Roles tab.
- Select Add Role.
- When editing the role, assign the following permissions to the role.
- Within the top-level account, select Settings, and select the Admins tab.
- Select +Account Admins.
- Select the previously created role from the dropdown menu and enter the email address of the ExamSoft admin user created in step above.
- Select Continue.
- Select OK Looks Good to assign the user to that role.
- Log in as the ExamSoft admin service account, and generate the access token to be used for the integration.
Note: If you are integrating multiple schools within the same Canvas instance, this token should be used for all of them.
The Canvas integration setup article can be found here: