Follow this procedure to post a Question Bank Assessment.
Before You Begin
Prepare the assessment. See: Legacy Portal: Create an Assessment from Your Question Bank
- Navigate to your course.
- Select the Assessment menu at the top of the screen, and then select the name of the assessment that you want to post.
Note: The recently revised assessments are listed in the main area of the page. If needed, you can select a folder on the left or search by entering the assessment ID or name in the search box above the table.
- Review your assessment to make sure that everything is correct before you post it.
After an exam-taker downloads the exam, the posting cannot be deleted. To "cancel" the posting, you'd need to go through several steps. You'd have to ask the exam-takers to remove the download, and then you'd need to change the download period to prevent additional downloads. Then you'd have to duplicate the assessment and start over. After making the necessary changes, then you could post the new assessment. To prevent these extra tasks, review the assessment and all of the settings before you post it.
- (Recommended) Preview the assessment.
- Scroll down to the area below the question list, and then select the Post Assessment button (for question bank assessments) or the Post button (for performance assessments).
- In the pop-up window, enter the settings.
- Review your selections to make sure that everything is correct.
- Select Post Assessment.
Enter these settings in the top section of the Post Assessment pop-up window.
- Required Settings:
- Enter a Posting Name to identify this posting. (You can create multiple postings for an assessment.)
- Enter a 6- to 60-character alphanumeric Assessment Password. The password must include at least one number and one letter.
- Select the Course.
- Enter the Download Start and Download End dates and times.
In each field, you can select a date from the calendar, or type the date in this format: MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM am/pm. This is the period when exam-takers can download the exam in Examplify. For example, you might want to allow downloads to start an hour before the exam and to end 15 minutes after the scheduled exam time. Exam-takers can start a downloaded exam when you provide the exam password.
- Optional Settings:
- You can set Email Reminders to alert the exam-takers about the download deadline, the upload deadline, or both. The reminder email will be sent only to exam-takers who have not completed the download or the upload by the specified time.
- If you want to allow exam-takers to retake the exam multiple times, you can set the number of Maximum Downloads. This option is most commonly used for mock exams, practice exams, and other types of assessments.
- You can set an Upload Deadline to prevent the exam-takers from submitting their answer files after the deadline. If you enable this feature, we recommend that you also use the Email Reminders feature, above, to alert your exam-takers about the pending deadline.
Note: To prevent the exam-takers from starting the exam after a specific time, please use Remote Assessment Deletion.
- For reporting purpose and your own reference, you can enter the Scheduled On date to indicate the intended exam date and time. However, you control the actual start time by setting the download period and by choosing when to give the password to the exam-takers.
- Choose Review Type.
- None: No review will be provided.
- Immediately After Assessment: If you select this option, the exam-takers will see the results immediately after submitting the exam. The results will reflect all question types except essays, which require grading by the instructor or proctor.
- Delayed Review: If you select this option, you must set the Start Time and the Delete By Date. For example, you might want to set these dates to coincide with the start/end time of a class period when you will review the exam.
- Enter a 6- to 60-character alphanumeric Assessment Review Password. You will need to communicate this password to the exam-takers so that they can view their results.
- Set a Time Limit for the review. When the time limit expires, Examplify will close the review.
- (Optional) Select additional Options to Enable.
- Select Show Incorrect Answers Only if you want to show incorrect answers only, rather than including all answers.
- Select Show Rationale if you want the exam-takers to see the rationales that you entered when you created the questions.
Note: Rationales can help an exam-taker to learn from the exam. For example, it might refer to a relevant textbook chapter.
Remote Assessment Deletion
This setting applies to exams that were downloaded but not started. At the specified time, the exam will be removed from the exam-taker's computer. This setting is similar to "locking the door" to an exam room to prevent latecomers from taking the exam.
Note: Remote Assessment Deletion cannot be enabled or disabled after an assessment has been posted.
- Select the checkbox for Remote Assessment Deletion.
- Select a deletion date and time.
- The Remote Deletion Date must fall after the posting Download End time.
- You can edit the Remote Assessment Deletion Date and Time after the secure assessment has been posted.
- The next time Examplify checks the ExamSoft servers after the Remote Assessment Deletion Date and Time has passed, any untaken assessment files will be identified as expired and removed from the Exam-Taker’s computer. Examplify checks the ExamSoft servers on a fixed periodic schedule.
- When an assessment is deleted from an Exam-Taker’s device, the Deleted date and time will appear in the Exam-Taker Activity tab of the assessment.
- Once the Deletion Date has passed, you will only be able to edit the Upload Deadline.
Benefits: Ping & Release is available for both secure and non-secure assessments. This feature ensures that an exam-taker cannot open a second copy of an exam that they have already started.For example, imagine an exam-taker who claims that their laptop died and requests a second download to use on a different device:
- If the exam-taker uses a different device for the second download, they will be able to start the exam without any issues (no resume code required).
- If they try to use the original, reportedly "dead" device for the second download, Ping & Release prevents them from restarting the exam. They would only be able to restart the exam on that device if a proctor entered a continuation code to bypass the Ping & Release block.
Requirements: Ping & Release requires that the exam-taker has an Internet connection when launching the exam from the Examplify dashboard. For secure exams, the Internet connection is needed to launch the exam but will be disconnected when the exam starts.
To enable Ping & Release: Select the Ping & Release checkbox. Read the message about the internet requirements, and then select OK.
- For information about the exam-taker experience with Ping & Release warning messages, see: Resume Codes for "Ping & Release"-Enabled Exams
- For information about issuing continuation codes in response to such messages, see: Legacy Portal: Issue Resume Codes and Continuation Codes
After you save an assessment, you can select the Preview button (below the question list). A preview will be available in Examplify within 15 minutes. A pop-up window provides further details. If this is your first time previewing an assessment in Examplify, consider using our tutorial to learn more: Legacy Portal: Create and Preview a Practice Exam (Tutorial)