You can use the Item Analysis Report to evaluate question performance, response frequencies, and overall performance history to improve your exam questions and other aspects of your courses.
This report supports all question types except essay questions.
Before You Begin
Post the assessment and wait until all exams are submitted.
Note: You can run this report at any time, but if you run it before all exams are submitted, the data will be incomplete.
- Select the Assessments menu.
- Select the assessment for which you would like to run the report.
- Select Reporting/Scoring, and then select Item Analysis.
- Select the question types, categories, and other options to include in the report.
- Select View Report.
- Scroll down to view the report in the lower part of the screen.
- Use the tool bar to navigate between the pages and to take other actions, such as exporting or printing the report.
See additional information in the "Report Details" section below.
Below are brief descriptions of the report contents. For more information about the statistics and how to interpret them, see: Legacy Portal: A Guide to the Statistics
Note: The information that appears in your report will depend on the options that you selected when generating it.
The report has a separate section for each question type. At the top of the page, you'll see statistics for the specified question type, including the Number of Exam-Takers, KR20, Standard Deviation, Mean, Median, Minimum, Maximum, and Total Points.
For each question, you'll see the Question Number and the overall statistics.
- Correct Responses: A comparison of the upper- and lower-performing exam-takers who answered this question correctly.
- Discrepancy Index and Point Biserial for this question.
- The Correct Answer, identified by its letter, and the number of exam-takers who gave each response.
Note: For True/False, Fill in the Blank, and Hotspot questions, Column A represents a correct response, and column B represents an incorrect response.
- Response Frequencies: The number of exam-takers who selected each lettered answer choice. An asterisk (*) indicates the number of exam-takers who selected the correct answer(s).
- Unanswered: The number of exam-takers who did not enter an answer to this question.
- At the end of the row, you'll see the Average Answer Time.
Note: This calculation may take up to 4 hours to populate after the exams are submitted.
- This section of the report also includes statistics for each answer choice.
Finally, you'll see the Performance History for this question on all past assessments. You'll see the total number of Correct and Incorrect answers, the total times that this question was Not Attempted, and the Difficulty Score.